Monday 7 November 2016

Cup of Tea, Anyone?


Succulents in teacup, milk jug and teapot. I like to have a bit of fun in the garden.

I was having a discussion with Neil Hook (UK) this morning (NZ time) on whether some trees in his garden were Cabbage Trees (Māori name, Tī Kouka) (Botanical name, Cordyline Australis) because I said on his post something about, I like your cabbage trees, to which he replied, we call them yuccas. Hmmm, I thought. So I went out to take photos of my cabbage trees; I seem to be blessed with quite a few of them, and while I was out there, I thought I might as well take some other pictures as well. So I did. This is a bit of a random selection.

By the way, I cannot stand tea, only herbal teas at least.

My Pallet Garden which I built, now adorned with frogs


Newly planted in red oak lettuces, gold beetroot, pak choi, some Tumbling Tom tomatoes over on the far side, and self sown nasturtium, silver beet, and some spuds even

Lavender, fennel in behind

NZ Hebe

NZ Flax (phornium) flower stem, about to open

Granny Bonnets

Cabbage tree spring flower buds, just about to open. Could smell the very subtle scent.

Tī Kouka aka Cordyline Australis aka Cabbage Tree.

Our Cabbage Trees are endemic to Aotearoa/ New Zealand. They are not actually really trees, rather they are huge Lily plants, the biggest Lily plants in the world. They are very popular in the UK, I believe, I often see them on English TV Programmes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment